Friday, June 24, 2011

Gluten Free Baby Edition Pt. 2 - Leftover Purees??

And now for part 2 of my gluten free baby post! :)

I made a wide variety of pureed fruits and veggies for my daughter and had them frozen in wonderful cubes (in these and these and these) and labeled, and had a great system... and then she started wanting more finger foods.  So I thought- how can I make this mush into something she can hold??  I also have issues with store bought snacks that are full of crap (see my first post here)

From many cubes of food I have now made little biscuits that she loves.  They're super quick and easy and you can adapt them to whatever you have around.  I now don't measure anything and just go by sight because it really doesn't make a huge difference in terms of taste and durability. I encourage you to play around with the idea and see how easy it is to make them!  The good part- they're not processed. No added anything, fresh and organic with no fillers or added sugar.

So here's the first recipe I made:
Homemade Baby Fruit/Veggie Biscuits

  ~3/4 cup organic vegetable puree (I used broccoli, string beans, and brussel sprouts)
1Tbsp mashed banana
1 Tbsp apple sauce/pureed organic apples (nothing added)
2 Tbsp coconut flour
dash of cinnamon

If frozen- put in pot and heat veggies just until warm. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and form into little biscuits (whatever shape you want) on a Silpat Baking Mat or greased baking sheet.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until done.

Options- Depending on if you want a more savory or sweet biscuit, I have now started adding other ingredients/combinations:



This is the texture you're looking for- can stand on it's own but not too thick or runny


I used a piping bag for these

 -Almond Flour (great and nutritious addition to the coconut flour)
-Spices: depending on which veggies you're using
   ~cumin
   ~curry
   ~Italian herbs (pre-mixed, oregano, basil, marjoram, rosemary, etc...)
   ~coriander
   ~garlic powder
-Coconut milk/almond milk
-Baking powder


These I made with baking powder, coconut milk, almond flour, coconut flour, and brussel sprouts


*note- I still do give my daughter purees here and there. The more difficult foods to chew like greens, brussel sprouts, etc need to be pureed or they'll cause the child to choke! Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. A great way to eat veggies. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now I can give my 8 mo baby a biscuit without worrying about his allergies. thx so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete