Thursday, October 25, 2007
a cold and rainy night calls for...
a warm bowl of soup of course!
i threw together a soup out of what i had in the fridge and around the kitchen and was fairly happy in the end :) here we go:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
2-3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 chicken breast in small pieces (if you don't want/have chicken, use broth instead of water)
1 small sweet potato (chopped in small pieces)
5 cups water (or broth)
1 cup chickpeas
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup red lentils
1/3 cup coconut milk
1. heat the coconut oil in pot and add the onions. saute for a few minutes, then add garlic.
2. add chicken, some salt and pepper, and cook until almost done
3. add sweet potatoes and saute a few minutes
4. add chickpeas and seasonings
5. add water and let simmer for a few minutes
6. add lentils and coconut milk and turn down heat to low
7. let simmer for approximately 15 minutes and add more seasoning to taste.
8. turn off heat, add cilantro and serve! Pin It Now!